Travelling by Car
Travelling independently via car?
Want to visit with bus?
Useful information for visitors
An equidistant hours drive from both Belfast and Dublin
The major roads that service County Louth are the M1 – the main Dublin-Belfast route and the N2 – the main Dublin-Derry route.
- Follow signs for M1 towards Belfast.
- Travel on M1 to the end (approx 50 miles) and take exit off at Junction 18- signposted (R152) N52 Dundalk North Carlingford
- Take 4th exit off at next roundabout signposted Carlingford R173 and travel to next roundabout and take 2nd exit off signposted Carlingford
- Follow signs to Carlingford – there is just one left turn to do just 2 miles before you get to Carlingford but it is well signposted.
- Head south out of Belfast on the M1 towards Dublin. Once on the motorway you are 1hr away.
- After about 10 miles, exit at junction 7, left signposted to Newry on the A1
- Head towards Newry, follow signs for the The Quays – a shopping centre with a multiplex cinema & Sainsburys.
- Turn left at the traffic lights taking you along the side of canal, canal is on your left, shopping centre is on your right and mountain straight ahead (where Carlingford is). You are now 12 minutes away.
- You will know when you enter Carlingford – King John’s Castle will be dominating the skyline to your left along with the harbour
CIE – Bus Éireann Timetable
Route 161: DUNDALK − GREENORE − CARLINGFORD − OMEATH − NEWRY
Download timetable Here
Dundalk – Carlingford – Newry
Monday to Saturday
Newry – Carlingford – Dundalk
Monday to Saturday
* Seasonal Sunday Service available from March to December
Dundalk – Carlingford (Departs from Long Walk Shopping Centre) – 10.45, 13.45 & 16.45
Carlingford – Dundalk (Departs from the Tourist Office) – 11.30, 14.30, 17.30
Return Fare €6.00 One Way €3.00
More information and contact details Here
Bus Éireann – Dublin to Carlingford Day Return
Dublin to Carlingford – Only €20 day return
Travel on service 100X from Dublin to Dundalk Bus Station & take service 161 from Dundalk to Carlingford.
Download timetable 100x Here
Download timetable 161 Here
Dundalk Train Station 00 353 (0)42 933 5521
Dundalk Bus Station 00 353 (0)42 933 4075
Newry Bus Station 00 44 (0)28 306 23531
Newry Train Station 00 44 (0)28 302 69271
Visit Carlingford can organise every aspect of your holiday break to Carlingford. Our free booking service means you can enjoy the best of what the area has to offer without worrying about any hidden costs. We have a wide range of gifts and items for visitors coming into the village
Our team will work to ensure your family gets to enjoy great family breaks. Horse Riding, Gofing, Go-Karting, Paintballing, Cookery Classes and History tours.
SELF CATERING ACCOMMODATION
VisitCarlingford offer the largest range of self catering accommodation available in the area. Our team will provide access to the best accommodation available to suit your budget
Unit of currency in the Republic of Ireland is the euro (€). There are 100 cents in a euro and notes are issued in the following denominations: €5, €10, €20, €50, €100, €200 and €500. Business in the village may accept Sterling, However they are not obligated to provide an exchange rate. The Majority of businesses in the area accept card payments.
There are three ATMS in Carlingford Village.
AIB – The Main Street Opposite Carlingford Arms
ATM Co. – Tourist Office Carlingford
ATM Co. – Old Quay Lane, (adjacent Tholsel Street)